Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

Volunteering

Hello to all the Hope Center blog readers - this is a post from Benjamin, a volunteer from the states.

I've been here for a month now and have been thoroughly enjoying my time here. Having the opportunity to come here and work with Randy and Angie has been  a great blessing.
I got here a month ago not quite sure what to expect, what kind of work I'd be doing, and what Randy and Angie would be like. Upon arrival they warmly welcomed me into their home and here and I quickly felt like one of the family. I've had a great time spending time in fellowship with Randy and Angie and playing with their kids - whether its an energetic game of soccer or water balloons or a riveting game of phase 10 :)


I've kept busy with a lot if different things while I've been here. I worked with Randy putting together 'pop-bottle solar light fixtures' for village homes. This was a really neat project and very rewarding to see how a collection of inexpensive parts could provide light to many power-less, dark homes in the village. I've also been able to spend time with the children in the orphanage, playing with kids and working with Shamim - a child disabled from abuse before she got here. The kids are a blast - each one with a different personality - I've grown attached to each one. I'll especially miss Shamim.


 I've also been able to go out to some of the villages around Mityana with a group of wonderful brothers from church. They really have a burden for sharing the Gospel in the villages and it was a blessing to join them in their bible studies and sharing of the Gospel. It was an adventure riding the 'death-on-wheels' taxi motorcycles out to the village, but definitely worth it after getting to speak with the villagers and serve them in whatever way we could.
I feel like there's a ton of other things I could talk about with all the different things I've had the opportunity to help out with - but for the sake of not writing a 10 page blog post, I'll leave it at that :)

I'll be leaving shortly - the trip felt way too short. Everyone I've met and worked with here has been so welcoming and fun to work with - I'm already starting to miss them. If you're looking for a place to serve - come out to the Hope Center in Mityana - you won't regret it!


-Benjamin

No comments:

Post a Comment